Strange times for the book industry, but people are adapting. Here’s hoping the social wildfires engulfing the USA right now will help encourage a new forest where a racist bog once stood. And if a few bookstores have to get burned down in the process, so be it. The history of systemic violence against Black people and their lives that are taken daily needs addressing more urgently than whether your favourite browsing spot or coffee shop is open or even a charred ash heap on Main Street.
- Oldest SciFi bookstore in the US burns down during riots (remember before you comment: books and stores can be replaced, Black lives cannot);
- More on Minneapolis bookstores;
- Aussie bookstores on adapting to new realities;
- What happens to Powell’s when you can’t browse Powell’s?;
- Russian indie book publishers that are fighting mainstream conservatism there;